How to Celebrate the Lunar New Year at Disneyland Resort
From January 25 to February 17, 2019, you can welcome the Year of the Pig at Disney California Adventure Park with 24 days of magical experiences
If you’re looking for a magical way to celebrate the Lunar New Year in 2019, Disneyland Resort has just what you’re looking for
From Friday, January 25 to Sunday, February 17, Disneyland Resort will ring in the Year of the Pig with Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure Park. Throughout the 24 days of this multicultural celebration, you can experience vibrant live entertainment and musical performances, including “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession,” fun-filled arts and crafts, themed merchandise and — of course — a wide selection of delicious cuisine to round out the festivities. Keep your eyes peeled, because even the Three Little Pigs will join in the fun with a rare appearance. (This is particularly meaningful to me, since the Three Little Pigs were the very first Disney characters that I met at Disneyland way back in 1966. You can see that photo on my Disney Travel page.)
Through the Disney Lunar New Year celebration, you will discover a touch of Disney magic and experience Asian culture through inspired food, music and entertainment. There’s no better way for a Disney fan to welcome another year of good fortune. Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year.
Disneyland Lunar New Year Celebration Highlights
While there are wide range of festivities to experience during the Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure, some of the more notable highlights include:
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession.” This bright and bold parade is hosted by Mulan and her faithful dragon, Mushu. The parade honors Lunar New Year and celebrates family and friendship. As a special treat for the Year of the Pig, the Three Little Pigs (Fiddler, Fifer and Practical) will join the procession in their full holiday garb. Also joining in on the fun are Goofy (in his “god of Good Fortune” attire) and Chip ‘n’ Dale (in their classic red vests). “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” will be enhanced in 2019 with a longer processional route, from Pixar Pier to Paradise Gardens Park. A troupe of Chinese performers bring additional dancers, martial artists and drummers to add an extra level of allure and excitement to the beautiful and colorful procession.
- Beloved characters Mulan, Mushu, Pluto, Mickey and Minnie don their Lunar New Year attire and will greet guests at Paradise Gardens Park. So be sure to stop by and get a unique photo!
- Four Asian marketplaces offering scrumptious foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, all with a Disney twist. New this year is the Sip and Savor pass, available for purchase if you wish to get the best value when tasting your way around the festive Asian marketplaces.
– Longevity Noodle Co.
– Lucky 8 Lantern
– Prosperity Bao & Buns
– Red Dragon Spice Traders
- A special Lunar New Year menu at Paradise Garden Grill will offer items inspired by traditional Asian fare, plus there will be a new Festival Food and Beverage Cart inside Paradise Gardens.
- Daily live performances:
– New this year, the Melody of China ensemble will entertain you with Chinese classical, folk and contemporary music. A trio of artists will play the yangqin (Chinese dulcimer), pipa (Chinese lute) and Erhu (Chinese fiddle).
– Vietnamese artist Dat Nguyen will play traditional and original compositions on classical guitar, lute, flute and melodica at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
- There will be a special area for guests to try complimentary arts and crafts with local artisans, including Chinese calligraphy, paper lantern making and face painting.
- Don’t miss the Lucky Wishing Wall, where you can add your own wishes for a wonderful and prosperous Lunar New Year.
- Beautiful Lunar New Year décor, including ornamental lanterns and banners wishing guests a Happy Lunar New Year will be available in English, Chinese and Korean.
- Plus, there will be plenty of new Lunar New Year merchandise inspired by different cultures of East Asia. These include:
– Special items all the way from Shanghai Disney Resort, including traditional red envelopes for gift-giving, Minnie Mouse ear headbands, lantern glow wands and more.
– Commemorative items with Lunar New Year designs, including a limited-edition pin, adult hoody and tees.
Finally, if you’re planning to visit, Disneyland Resort is offering special, limited-time ticket and hotel offers during the Lunar New Year celebration, making this an ideal time to visit Disney California Adventure.
Planning a Disneyland Vacation?
As a Luxury Travel Blogger, I write regularly about upscale Disney vacations of all shapes and sizes. Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest news and insights on luxury Disney travel.
Mike Belobradic: The Finer Side of Disney Travel
Luxury Travel Blogger – Luxury Disney Travel Expert