What’s Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2020
Rise of the Resistance, a New Daytime Parade and the Avengers Campus are just a few of the Highlights Coming to Disneyland in 2020
With spectacular new attractions, an entirely new land, a fun new parade and more exciting guest experiences throughout the resort, 2020 is shaping up to be another game changing year for Disneyland Resort in California.
Whether it’s experiencing new Star Wars adventures aboard two attractions in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, teaming up with Super Heroes at the new Avengers Campus, celebrating magical moments in the all-new “Magic Happens” parade, or indulging in a Disney-themed treat, you’re sure to discover more ways to have fun in 2020 at the Happiest Place on Earth.
2020 Will Start Big with the Opening of Rise of the Resistance in Galaxy’s Edge
The year will kick off with the newest and most immersive attraction ever conceived by Disney Imagineers. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance launches in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park on January 17, 2020. But that’s not all that’s happening in Disneyland Park, the “Magic Happens” parade will debut on February 28, featuring multiple new floats including one inspired by the blockbuster film, “Frozen 2” — and a “Moana” sequence that includes Moana on her voyager canoe, followed by her pet pig, Pua, and legendary demigod, Maui, on his own magical island.
The Avengers Get a New Home at California Adventure
Over at Disney California Adventure Park, the highly anticipated Avengers Campus will also open in 2020. Spidey fans will enjoy the opportunity to sling webs on the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man. This immersive new land also presents multiple heroic encounters with Avengers like Iron Man, Black Widow and Black Panther. Avengers Campus will also feature Pym Test Kitchen, where guests will taste supersized and supershrunk foods from Pym Technologies.
A number of fan favorite festivals will return to this park in 2020 as well, with the Lunar New Year celebration and the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival in the spring.
Here are more Details on all these New Additions to Disneyland Resort
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance: Launches January 17
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is the newest attraction inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and it launches on January 17, 2020.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is one of the most ambitious, advanced and immersive experiences ever undertaken by Walt Disney Imagineering. The innovative attraction takes guests aboard a full-size transport shuttle before they are captured by a Star Destroyer and find themselves in the middle of a climactic battle between the dark side of the First Order and the light side of the Resistance, including BB-8 and Rey. The harrowing adventure blurs the lines between fantasy and reality on a scale never seen before in a Disney attraction.
You will join the Resistance and depart from Batuu in a transport ship to meet General Leia Organa at a secret rendezvous point. However, on your way to the hidden base, you’ll be intercepted and detained by the First Order when their ship is drawn into the hangar bay of a Star Destroyer. The action then ramps up as you work with your fellow captors to escape the clutches of the dark side with Kylo Ren and the First Order.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance brings you face to face with some of your favorite Star Wars characters, including Resistance heroes Rey, BB-8, Poe and Finn, as well as Kylo Ren and General Hux of the First Order.
New “Magic Happens” parade debuts at Disneyland Park on February 28
The all-new “Magic Happens” parade will come to life at Disneyland, beginning February 28, 2020. “Magic Happens” will feature an energetic musical score and a new song, co-composed by singer-songwriter Todrick Hall. Celebrating awe-inspiring moments of magic that are at the heart of so many Disney stories, this new daytime parade will feature stunning floats, beautiful costumes and beloved Disney characters from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Frozen 2” and “Moana,” plus “Coco,” “Sleeping Beauty” and more, all led by Mickey Mouse and his pals.
Traveling down Main Street, U.S.A., “Magic Happens” will remind you that you don’t need wings to fly, that shooting stars were made to wish upon, and that magic doesn’t stop at midnight. Highlights of the parade include:
- From “Frozen 2,” Anna and Elsa explore the mysteries of an enchanted forest protected by Nokk, the mystical water spirit, as their friends Kristoff, Sven and Olaf tag along.
- On her voyager canoe, Moana journeys forth on the crest of a towering wave, inspired by beautiful koa wood carvings, and inset with dazzling, animated glimpses into the magic the ocean holds.
- Guiding Moana on her journey is Maui, who travels along on his own magical piece of the islands with Moana’s adorable pet pig, Pua.
- Miguel appears in person for the first time, celebrating the magic that happens when he strums the guitar of Ernesto de la Cruz in the Disney and Pixar film “Coco.” This spectacular float bridges the Land of the Living and the Land of the Dead with vibrant marigolds, and fantastical alebrije spirit animals join the procession, along with Miguel’s dog Danté.
- The regal grand finale of “Magic Happens” celebrates magical moments from several classic Disney stories, including the happily-ever-after scene from “Sleeping Beauty” with a trio of fairies and Princess Aurora’s gown shimmering between hues of pink and blue.
Highly-anticipated Avengers Campus opens at Disney California Adventure Park
In 2020, you’ll be able to team up with some favorite Super Heroes at the Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure. The campus is set up by the Avengers to recruit the next generation of Super Heroes.
Avengers Campus will open with the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man. You’ll enter this attraction at the Worldwide Engineering Brigade – also known as WEB.
During an open house at WEB, aspiring inventors will invite you along for a test drive of their latest invention: the Web-Slinger vehicle. This new adventure will allow you to sling webs just like Spider-Man, as they help Spider-Man collect Spider-Bots that have run amok across the campus.
Avengers Campus will also feature Pym Test Kitchen. Here, Ant-Man and The Wasp are using their growing and shrinking technology, Pym Particles, to create big and little foods at this eatery.
Throughout the campus, you will find yourself face-to-face with legendary Super Heroes, in heroic encounters with Ant-Man and The Wasp, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther and his elite guards, the Dora Milaje, Thor and Iron Man.
Additionally, be prepared to get caught up in the middle of incredible action around the Avengers Headquarters, as Super Heroes such as Black Widow and Black Panther battle intruders and save the day.
The iconic Avengers Headquarters building will become the entrance to a new attraction at a later date.
Lunar New Year celebrates the Year of the Mouse at Disney California Adventure Park
Disneyland Resort will welcome a year of good fortune with 24 days of Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure from January 17 – February 9, 2020.
Celebrating the Year of the Mouse, the limited-time festival allows guests of all ages to enjoy many exciting offerings, including the bright and bold Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession, the return of the heartwarming “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” prior to “World of Color,” a Lucky Wishing Wall, delectable foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, and more.
Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival features California-inspired bites and beverages
The lively and fun Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival returns to Disneyland Resort from Feb. 28 through April 21, 2020. This limited-time culinary festival brings many offerings for guests of all ages to enjoy with a uniquely Disney twist, from tasty dishes at more than a dozen mouthwatering Festival Marketplaces, to cooking demonstrations and seminars with Disney chefs and celebrity chefs, live music, and even hands-on entertainment for kids in the Junior Chef experience with Chef Goofy. Guests looking to try a variety of dishes at the festival will enjoy using the Sip and Savor Pass,** available for all guests to purchase.
At a glance: Even more new and limited-time magic in 2020
- Disneyland After Dark special after-hours ticketed events (80s Nite on Jan. 29 and Sweethearts’ Nite on Feb. 12-13)
Disney California Adventure Park
- Disneyland After Dark special after-hours ticketed events (Pixar Nite on March 5 and Villains Nite on April 30)
- Anna and Elsa in their beautiful new dresses seen in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Frozen 2” at Anna and Elsa’s Royal Welcome
- Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party, a separate-ticket event on some nights during Halloween Time (Sept. – Oct. 2020)
Hotels of the Disneyland Resort
- Tenaya Stone Spa at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (spring 2020)
Downtown Disney District
- Asian Street Eats take-out window by Chef Hung Huynh (opening soon)
- The new look of Jamba (formerly Jamba Juice, early 2020)
More Fun and Special Events!
- Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort (Sept. 2020)
- Holiday entertainment, festivities, food and décor (Nov. 2020)
Upcoming anniversaries at Disneyland Resort
- Indiana Jones Adventure, 25th anniversary (March 3)
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, 15th anniversary (March 17)
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, 1st anniversary (May 31)
- “World of Color,” 10th anniversary (June 11)
- Silly Symphony Swings, 10th anniversary (June 11)
- Turtle Talk with Crush, 15th anniversary (July 15)
- Disneyland Park, 65th anniversary (July 17)
- Disneyland opening day attractions 65th anniversaries include:
- Jungle Cruise
- Disneyland Railroad (originally opened as Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad)
- Mark Twain Riverboat (originally opened as Mark Twain Steamboat)
- The Golden Horseshoe (originally opened as Golden Horseshoe Revue)
- King Arthur Carrousel
- Mad Tea Party
- Toad’s Wild Ride
- Peter Pan’s Flight (originally opened as Peter Pan Flight)
- Snow White’s Scary Adventures (originally opened as Snow White’s Adventures)
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, 55th anniversary (July 18)
- Casey Jr. Circus Train, 65th anniversary (July 31)
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant, 65th anniversary (Aug. 16)
- Disneyland Hotel, 65th anniversary (Oct. 5)
Keep Up-to-Date on all the Latest Disney Travel News
Listen in weekly to the Daddy Daughter Disney Travel Podcast at 1923MainStreet.com.
Mike Belobradic, The Finer Side of Travel™
A Luxury Disney Travel Blog